“Rocks” refer to your 90-day priorities at both company and department levels. By definition, they are the 3-7 MOST important things that must get accomplished over the next 90 days.
When clear about your Vision, the priorities become more apparent and fall in line with the needs of the organization.
Here are some critical factors to get the most out of your Rocks:
- Set them based upon the most important priorities over the next 90-days. Don’t get fooled by squeaky wheels. Instead, let your Vision guide you and determine the 3-7 that will make the greatest impact over the next 90 days.
- Assign each Rock to ONE person – not multiple people. The power of the Rock Process starts with clear accountability and if more than one person is accountable, No-One is accountable.
- Set Rocks “outside” your normal company environment as you work “on” your business.
- Meet every quarter when your “Rocks” are due and evaluate how you did over the last 90 days – learn from your mistakes/mishaps and then finally…
- Re-set for the next 90 days by setting new Rocks (90-day priorities).
Get into the above routine and you can’t help to make consistent progress, 90 days at a time!